How to test for HIV at home using a kit

To make HIV testing easy and convenient, the NSW Department of Health has developed a home testing kit. It is called the dried blood spot (DBS) HIV test.

This is a free, simple and confidential test that you can do at home. You don’t have to go to the clinic or the general practitioner (GP).

It’s very convenient, if you don’t like needles, don’t have time to go to the doctor or ask your GP to test it.

How does it work?

  • • Order the Dry Blood Spot (DBS) HIV Test Kit online at https://www.hivtest.health.nsw.gov.au/
  • • You will receive the kit in a secure envelope by mail, containing everything you need to test.
  • • Take a few drops of blood from your fingers: 5 drops are what you need.

Send the blood sample back by mail (you don’t have to pay the postage).

How to get results?

You can choose to get results within one week via email, SMS or phone.

What happens if the test shows that I have HIV?

If it shows that you may have HIV, you will need to do a standard HIV test to confirm the results.

You will be able to talk to the nurses of the NSW Health Information Hotline who will explain where and what to do.

By starting treatment immediately, you can stay healthy and live a normal life.

Provide free and confidential support services, including support in your language.

Can anyone do a dry blood spot (DBS) HIV test?

If you or your partner (past or present) is from a country that is common in HIV or if you are a man who has sex with a man, you can have a dry blood spot (DBS) HIV test.

You need to be at least 16 years old and live in New South Wales. You don’t need a Medicare card.

Is the test accurate?

Yes. The dry blood spot (DBS) test is accurate.

Will my test results remain private?

Yes. Your test results will only be available to you.

Where can I get more information?

For more information or to order a DBS HIV test kit, visit https://www.hivtest.health.nsw.gov.au/or call the NSW Health Information Hotline at 1800 451 624.

If you want to talk in your own language, please call the Interpreting Service (TIS) 131 450 and ask an interpreter who speaks your language and then ask them to call the NSW Health Information Hotline.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button