These tips to take care of your eyes daily will help you take care of one of your most important senses. Remember that you need to pay attention to your visual health : in addition to checking your eyesight periodically with a specialist, good habits are also important. You can start putting them into practice with these 16 tips to take care of your eyes: how to take care of eyes daily
On this page we will read:
- 16 daily eye care tips
- How to clean your eyes properly?
- How to protect your eyes from the effects of the sun
- The importance of taking care of the eyes against COVID-19
16 daily eye care tips
1. Diligently help the eyes: Usually people think that diligence is a bad habit, but it is not. Frequent blinking can not only reduce the exposure time of the eye in the air, but also avoid excessive evaporation of the tears, thus maintaining the moisture of the eyes. how to take care of eyes daily
2. Put a glass of water in front of the computer desk, your eyes are bright and healthy: Nowadays, due to the development of science and technology, people need to work on computers for a long time, which is easy to cause dry eyes, eyelids, eye fatigue and other phenomena. If you put a cup of hot boiled water in front of the computer desk, the water released by boiling water Vapour has a relief effect on dry eyes.
3. Sufficient sleep to relieve eye fatigue: In today’s society, competition is fierce. In order to break through among many talents, many people have developed the habit of “adding night shifts” at night. Success in business is good, but physical health is more important. Long-term staying up late not only causes the appearance of dark circles, but excessive use of the eyes can cause different degrees of damage to the eyes. Only enough sleep can make the eyes fully rested. Only a good body can make us calmly deal with each day challenge. how to take care of eyes daily
4. True myopia requires wearing a mirror: Myopia is a kind of eye disease, which is divided into pseudo myopia and true myopia. Pseudo myopia occurs mostly in children and adolescence. Pseudo myopia does not need to wear glasses. It can be cured by self-regulation of eye muscles. True myopia is not true, true myopia must wear glasses, if you do not wear glasses, because myopia patients have blurred vision, can not see the surrounding things, so often look at things, this will inevitably increase intraocular pressure and eye adjustment burden, promote myopia The dioptre is deepened. how to take care of eyes daily
5. Go for a check-up at least once a year: You use your eyes every day, many hours … don’t you think they deserve a few minutes of “fine-tuning” every year? Choose a fixed date to do it and you will not forget it. how to take care of eyes daily
6. Enjoy the outdoors and sunlight whenever you can: It is proven that the hours spent outdoors are associated with a lower incidence of myopia . This article discusses this finding in depth. how to take care of eyes daily
7. Watch your diet : This advice is valid for your whole body, but for your eyes, foods rich in vitamins A, B6 and C are especially recommended . Include them in your diet. Do not miss this article about the foods that take care of your eyes.
8. Rest your eyes regularly: Whether you study or work or “you’ve seen everything in life”, your eyes need to stop and recover from their effort: close them 20 seconds every hour . You will see… how to take care of eyes daily
9. Try to always carry artificial tears with you: Especially if you don’t have a pharmacy on hand. They help you with dryness, itching or that annoying burning sensation. Be careful: they are not eye drops.
10. Use approved sunglasses: Make sure your sunglasses have an EU guarantee, protect from UVA and UV rays , and cover your eyes well. And choose the color of the crystals well, it is very important. how to take care of eyes daily
11. Read in natural light whenever you can: It is the best for reading, it does not force or tire your eyes . Some tricks to take advantage of it: if you are right-handed, read with the light entering over the left shoulder and if you are left-handed, the opposite. Be careful with reflections.
12. Put a good distance between your eyes and any screen (television, computer …): Even if you can’t live without them, keep your distance . Television: at least twice the width of your receiver. Computer / Tablet: 40 cm minimum and 30 if it is touch. Mobile: 30 cm. how to take care of eyes daily
13. Try to take a break from mascara and makeup sometime: According to a recent survey, 25% of women have suffered eye problems (irritation, conjunctivitis, itching, etc.) due to makeup. Your eyes deserve a break. Learn a few tricks in this article.
14. If you wear contact lenses, make proper use of them: Wash and dry your hands thoroughly if you are going to touch eyes or contact lenses. Don’t rub your eyes. Follow your contact lens hygiene routine . And never use them longer than directed.
15. Take care of the vision of the little ones: It can be started before the age of 4, to detect possible problems early. Between 3 and 8 years the visual system develops, an annual review is ideal. This is a very important topic, learn more about children’s visual health here. how to take care of eyes daily
16. If you feel any discomfort in your eyes, go to the ophthalmologist: They are a “staple” part of your body. Don’t let it. Normally it will be something temporary, but going to the specialist will always give you certainty or solutions.
How to clean your eyes properly?
When should you wash your eyes?
In the wash our faces every day, also clean the area around the eyes, and this is usually sufficient, but when diseases appear in their eyes as conjunctivitis , which causes the inflammation, or eyelids, such as blepharitis , is they produce ocular secretions and a flaking forms that can cause damage to the cornea if they are not removed correctly. how to take care of eyes daily
Another situation that requires special eye hygiene care is when you apply some ophthalmological treatment and after performing an eye surgery .
Eye hygiene products how to take care of eyes daily
Physiological serum how to take care of eyes daily
It is a sterile 0.9% sodium chloride solution in water . It has a particularity and that is that its salt concentration is equal to that of human blood. This makes it an indispensable resource in medicine.
It is a harmless product for our eyes, it does not cause them any harm, for this reason it is recommended for cleaning the eyes, since it does not cause irritation or damage to them. It is useful for eye hygiene in people who suffer from conjunctivitis or allergies, as well as for cleaning before applying an eye drop treatment. how to take care of eyes daily
In case of conjunctivitis, the eyes should be cleaned carefully, using a sterile gauze and physiological saline , to then apply ophthalmic drops inside the eye.
When you suffer from an allergy, the process is similar, there may be stuck particles on the eyelid, which must be removed avoiding rubbing the eye, as this worsens the irritation. Once the eyes are clean, the eye drops indicated by the doctor are applied.
Sterile gauze or wipes how to take care of eyes daily
Can you use wipes if you have blepharitis? People who have oily skin can suffer from blepharitis , caused by the obstruction of the sebaceous glands by the accumulation of scales on the edge of the eyelid. A swab soaked with a specific product or special wipes can be used for cleaning .
The wipes are more hygienic and practical for cleaning the eyes. They come packaged, preventing contamination, and moistened with products that clean and help reduce inflammation of the skin around the eye. These wipes should not come into contact with the inside of the eyes, as they could irritate them. how to take care of eyes daily
Another product used for eye hygiene is cleansing gel. This should be applied with a paper towel or sterile gauze.
Make-up removers how to take care of eyes daily
Makeup can cause irritation to the eyes, for this reason it should be avoided to use it in excess , and to use quality products that comply with health regulations.
It is advisable to avoid the use of makeup in sensitive areas of the eye, as it can help to block the flow of tears.
Products to remove makeup can cause eye irritation when in contact with them. They should be used with care and when removing make-up from the eyelids, move towards the nose . how to take care of eyes daily
It is important to remember to remove makeup before going to sleep, and avoid rubbing your eyes while wearing it, as it can cause makeup to come into contact with the cornea and irritate it.
Natural medicine how to take care of eyes daily
Natural remedies can cause irritation, as the eyes are very delicate.
One of the traditional natural remedies for conjunctivitis and other eye conditions is to cleanse the eyes with chamomile. Despite the benefits it offers, its use in the eyes should be avoided . how to take care of eyes daily
There are many eye cleaning products on the market. It is better to use any of them than to risk home remedies that can make the problem worse. how to take care of eyes daily
If the eye has come into contact with an irritating substance or that has caused it some damage, and it is not possible to remove it, it is necessary to go to the doctor immediately.
How to protect your eyes from the effects of the sun
Usually during the summer a series of precautions are taken to protect the skin from the dangers of excessive sun exposure, but many times the problems that it can cause to the eyes are forgotten.
Ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB) are highly damaging to the eyes, as they can cause irritation, conjunctivitis and / or keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) . Another area commonly forgotten is the skin of the eyelids, a frequent site of skin cancer.
The damage caused by this type of lightning is cumulative over time. The fact of having been exposed for several years to the sun without protection, means that after approximately 60 years, one has a greater risk of having age-related macular degeneration (a disorder of the retina that affects central vision).
That is why it is important to protect yourself, since like the skin, the eyes also have a memory if they were excessively exposed to UV rays.
Without protection it can cause eye injuries such as conjunctivitis or punctate keratitis, and even seriously affect the center of the retina, the macula.
A burn on the retina caused by the ultraviolet and infrared rays in sunlight resembles one that occurs on the skin when sunbathing without protection
Swimming pools and unprotected sun exposures favor the appearance of many cases of conjunctivitis, one of the most common disorders of the summer. Protection against UVA rays and pollution are the keys to avoiding eye damage.
Secondary conjunctivitis acquired in swimming pools and those derived from exposure to the sun without protection, together with trauma to the eyes, are the most common eye damage in summer and increase in these months. That is why it is necessary to use suitable sunglasses, both to protect yourself from ultraviolet rays and to avoid contamination in the eyes.
How to prevent eye injuries
- Choose lenses that block UV rays. Don’t be fooled by the color or the price. The ability to block UV light does not depend on the price or the dark tint of the sunglasses.
- Make sure your lenses can block 100% of UVA and UVB rays.
- Choose lenses that cover the entire eye area. Ideally, your sunglasses should wrap the area up to the temple, so that the sun’s rays cannot penetrate from the sides.
- In addition to sunglasses, wear a hat. Wide-brimmed ones provide the best protection for your eyes.
- Don’t trust contact lenses. Even if they have UV protection, remember that you also need to wear sunglasses.
- Don’t let the clouds fool you. Sun’s rays can pass through haze and thin clouds. Eye damage from the sun can occur at any time of the year, not just summer. Be sure to wear sunglasses whenever you are outdoors.
- Looking directly at the sun at any time can cause solar retinopathy, which involves damage to the retina of the eye caused by solar radiation.
- Be especially careful during peak hours of the sun. It is best to avoid exposure between 10 am and 2 pm, when the sun’s UV rays are strongest. In case you must be outdoors, protect your eyes with a hat and sunglasses.
- Do not forget about the children and the elderly in the family. Everyone is exposed to risk. Protect your eyes with hats and sunglasses.
On the beach
The salt in seawater can irritate the eyes. Avoid introducing foreign bodies into the eyes, especially from sand. Wash your eyes with fresh water often.
In the pool
Chlorine in swimming pools is an irritant that disturbs the eyes. Avoid direct contact with swimming pool water by wearing suitable swimming goggles.
In the mountain
The dryness typical of summer in environments far from the sea causes a greater evaporation of the tear, increasing the sensation of dry eye. People who suffer these symptoms continuously should go to a specialist who will recommend the most appropriate treatment.
Continued exposure to air conditioning causes the environment to dry out, damaging the eyes more than normal. Continued use of the computer can cause eyestrain or fatigue.
- Avoid continued exposure to these environments and use a humidifier or artificial tears if necessary.
- Work at an adequate distance from the screen and take periodic short breaks.
Enjoying the summer safely reduces the risk of tumors, as well as eye diseases that could lead to vision loss. It is important to start using proper protection from an early age, to protect your eyes from years of UV exposure.
A routine annual eye exam can prevent and detect most eye diseases, and treat them when cure is still possible
The importance of taking care of the eyes against COVID-19
Mouth, nose and eyes are the entry doors of the Coronavirus to the body. The indications of an eye expert.
But it is also important to maintain social distance so that droplets from the nose or mouth of an infected person cannot reach the face of another.
To better explain this last situation, Dr. Eliana Segretin (MN 111.134) Head of the Ocular Surface and Infectology Section of the Ophthalmology Service of the Italian Hospital of Buenos Aires indicates what measures should be taken to take extreme care of the eyes in the time of COVID-19. how to take care of eyes daily
“As an ophthalmologist I have important news to give you: protecting our eyes, hands and mouth, can delay the spread of the coronavirus,” says the professional.
“When an infected person coughs or talks, the virus can spread from the mouth or nose to the face of another healthy person. While these droplets most likely enter through the mouth or nose, there are chances that they will also enter through the eyes “ and clarifies: ” On the other hand, people who have coronavirus can also transmit the disease through their tears. Touching tears with viral particles or a surface where they contaminated can be contagious, since the virus survives a few hours or days depending on the environmental conditions (table, doorknob, etc.). In addition, if we then put our hands to the eyeballs, the virus can enter the body through the eye conjunctiva “. how to take care of eyes daily
Although rare, the coronavirus can also cause red eye or conjunctivitis. Studies reveal that viral conjunctivitis develops in about 1% to 3% of people with coronavirus. But do not panic: all people who have a red eye does not mean that they are infected with coronavirus .
How to take care of yourself?
The hand hygiene, good hygiene of contact lenses in those who use them and try not touching or rubbing your nose, mouth and eyes especially are preventive measures to avoid contagion.
“A good tip to keep in mind if you wear contact lenses is to change them for glasses until the pandemic passes since contact lens wearers often touch their eyes frequently. However, if you need to continue wearing contact lenses, follow the advice hygiene of your ophthalmologist to limit the chances of contagion, “ says Segretin .
On the other hand, “avoid touching the eyelids and surroundings as this reduces the risk of infection. If you feel the need to rub or adjust your glasses, use a tissue instead of your fingers.” how to take care of eyes daily
Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before touching any part of your face or putting in any eye drops.
Finally, Dr. Eliana Segretin provides recommendations to consider when visiting an ophthalmic medical professional:
-If you have to go to a consultation with your ophthalmologist , as all medical professionals are following strict hygiene and disinfection guidelines, avoid talking while the professional is checking you with the microscope.
-If you have to cough or sneeze during the exam, step away from the device and cover your face with the crease of your elbow. how to take care of eyes daily
-If you have a cough or fever, it is important that you call your doctor’s office ahead of time and let them know. If your shift is not an emergency, change it and stay home.
-If you arrive sick to the consultation, it is likely that your doctor will ask you to wear a mask and wait in the office so as not to expose other patients.