We explain what the protocol is (such as rules of conduct, and in computer science). In addition, types of protocol and some examples.
What is protocol?
In its most commonly used definition, refers to different behaviors and rules that people in a given society must know and respect on specific occasions, such as in official settings for a particular reason or because they have a position that requires this protocol.
This word comes from the Latin Protocollum , which was already derived from a Greek concept. In Spanish, the protocol is a set of rules or instructions to follow, set by law or tradition .
These behaviors or rules may include ways of dressing, good manners or even attitudes . In some countries, for example, in those that still have a monarchical form of government , they must follow the protocol in a much stricter manner unlike others. A case that always attracts attention when talking about protocols to follow is the mandatory use of hats when a royal wedding is celebrated in England.
The protocols do not only exist in the official spheres, since citizens who do not hold any special position are forced to comply with different behaviors and rules previously agreed in their society . These protocols usually have to do with obedience and respect towards the authorities . Hierarchical organizations such as the Armed Forces, the institution of the Church, or even a school, are some of the most common examples where people must obey in an imposed manner.
Protocol in other disciplines
It can be several things depending on the context in which one is, for example a document that indicates how to act in a certain situation . Also called protocol is the set of social rules that set the behavior in public, for example at a dinner. We normally know the protocol as the so-called label (to give some examples, chew food with your mouth shut or keep manners first).
The following are some of the many meanings that this term has:
- Medicine. For medicine, protocol refers to clinical or preclinical trials that perform the evaluation of a new drug as well as to add some indication or characteristic to a medicine already known and for sale. They are usually sources of knowledge that have some novelty for science . They can even exist in the branch of psychology , sociology , among others. Likewise, a treatment protocol is that document that has information about the patient to be treated and that serves as a guide for doctors when deciding how to continue with a treatment or illness by taking the references granted by this paper.
- International right. In International Law, it is the annex to an initial international treaty, that is, a modification or extension to the original treaty. In some cases, as in the Kyoto Protocol that referred to climate change , the protocol itself was more celebrated and important than the treaty in general.
- Computer . For computer science and telecommunications, a communications protocolis the set of rules and standards that are intended to control the sequences of messages that occur in a communication between entities that are part of the same network . Telephones or computers are some examples of these communications.
- Internet Protocol It is a communication protocol that has digital data that is classified in a functional way in the Network Layer following the international OSI model .
- Research protocol. It is one that includes the objectives , design, methodology and certain considerations that must be taken into account to implement and organize a research or scientific experiment. A protocol must include the background and the reasons why such research is carried out. In turn, you must define under what parameters the results will be measured.