What is living together?
We explain what coexistence is, the question of whether the human being is selfish or solidary by nature and the patterns of coexistence.
What is living together?
Coexistence is the physical and peaceful coexistence between individuals or groups that must share a space. It is then about life in common and the harmony that is sought in the relationship of people who for some reason must spend a lot of time together.
The etymology of the term refers to Latin, the prefix ‘ with ‘ and the word ‘ experience ‘, which means the act of existing . In the same way that confusing or comparing are words that presume, at least, the existence of more than one entity that occupies the place of another or has some kind of bond, so that there is coexistence a plurality of people is needed.
Experience is understood as the set of actions, feelings, concerns, values and ideas that constitute the essence of a human being . When the two words are combined, the relationship between people and the social groups they integrate is reached , within a framework in which contradictions or tensions will necessarily appear.
Medicine, psychology and sociology consider that a good coexistence is a fundamental factor for good emotional health , but also for the physical integrity of people.
Psychology is responsible for determining the disorders of coexistence that individuals may have and helps to solve them, trying to interpret if there is any internal cause that leads to that situation.
Is the human being selfish or supportive by nature?
The first contradiction will surely come when the question of the title of this section is asked.
- The philosopher Thomas Hobbes, when he postulated how people and states should behave , started from the basis that people are by nature selfish .
- Other thinkers, such as Robert Sussman, affirm that the human species is inherently supportive and cooperative, and may be selfish according to the personal and cultural path it takes.
Beyond the philosophical positions, almost all the ways in which people have been organized over time include, with different nuances, the two notions, since people live by combining ambition and individual interest with needs and searches. of collective achievements.
This fine balance arises as a product of many patterns, which are transmitted throughout the generations. The coexistence between people must adapt to these guidelines.
There are many areas in which people must live (jobs, schools, public spaces, neighborhoods, buildings, groups of friends, families ), so it is important that appropriate standards and codes of behavior are established , which make for good living .
Let’s see some of the coexistence guidelines that usually apply:
- Responsibility . Those that derive from the sense of responsibility, among which are meeting the schedules and the commitments that are assigned, carrying out the functions and behavior patterns that must be respected.
- Respect . Those that have to do with respect, such as accepting the views of others, not discriminating and trying to understand and bepatient with others.
- Honesty . Those related to honesty, such as taking responsibility for their own mistakes.
- Solidarity . Solidarities, such as collaborating with the care of the place, integrating new people who arrive, helping without waiting for a reward and advocating to reach agreements on the decisions that must be taken among all.