We explain that what is the difference between Panther and Puma with table. Panther and Puma are considered one of the largest cats in the world. They both belong to the same Felidae family and also belong to the same Animalia kingdom. They vary from each other in size, color, characteristics, hunting technique, prey, habitat, etc.
Panthers have their origin in Asia and Europe. On the other hand, the Puma have their origin in America.
The difference between Panther and Puma is that panther is a word that refers to the animals of the genus Panthera that includes lion, tiger, jaguar, leopard, etc. while Puma refers to animals belonging to the genus Puma.
Comparison table between Panther and Puma
|Panther is one of the largest cat species in the world.
|Puma is the largest and wildest of all types of cats.
|Origin of the word
|The word Panther is derived from the Latin panthera which means “large spotted cat”
|The word Puma is the Spanish puma derived from the Quecha language of Peru.
|They have the origin of Asia and Africa.
|They have the origin of America.
|The color of the coat can be white or black, usually black.
|The color of the skin can be brown-yellow or gray-red.
|Its habitat includes forests, swamps, and grasslands.
|Its habitat is forests and rocky mountains.
|Panther has a small head with strong jaws and emerald green eyes. The hind legs are slightly larger and stronger than the front legs.
|Puma has big, muscular and short legs. They have a small but long skull.
|Panthers hunt animals such as deer, wild boar, wild boar, tapirs, and antelope, along with smaller birds and rabbits.
|Cougars hunt animals such as deer, raccoons, squirrels, foxes, rabbits, and skunks.
What is panther
Panther is one of the largest cats in the world that can roar and can easily adapt to a variety of inhabitants around the world. They have their native in Asia and Africa.
The word Panther refers to the Panthera animal genus that includes many big cats such as the lion, tiger, jaguar, leopard, and many more.
Panther refers to leopards and jaguars that have all black fur due to an excess of a pigment called melanin. A panther could be any of these: a black jaguar, a black leopard, and a Florida black panther.
The panther is a powerful carnivorous animal that is black due to a mutation in its chromosomes. There are also white panthers which are known as albino panthers. Its white color is due to albinism or chinchilla mutation.
A normal adult panther is about 6 to 7.2 feet in length, about 24 to 28 inches tall at shoulder height, and weighs about 100 to 160 pounds. They do not have spots on the body or tail, but they do have a characteristic dark glossy coat.
What is Puma
Puma is also known as cougar, mountain lion, catamounts, and by a variety of other local names. They have their native in America. This animal can be easily found in the mountains ranging from southern Canada to the tip of South America.
The cougar is a carnivorous animal that is most active at night. It is the largest of the small cats. He loves to hunt a variety of animals such as elk, deer, cattle, horses, rodents, and many more. They have a characteristic black ring around the nose.
The scientific name of the Puma is Felis concolor which means “cat of one color”. These cats lack the missing fur markings according to the meaning of their scientific name. The word Puma refers to the genus Puma.
Puma bites the neck, head or throat while killing. Some puncture marks made by its claws can easily be seen on the sides and bottom of its prey.
A normal adult cougar has a length of about 2.4 meters, a height of between 60 and 76 cm at the shoulder, and a weight of around 53 to 72 kilograms.
Main differences between Panther and Puma
- Panther is one of the largest known cats in the world, while Puma is the wildest and largest breed of cat among all types of cats.
- Panther originated in Asia and Europe, while Puma originated in America.
- Panther can be found in Latin America, Asia, and Africa, while Puma can be found on the west coast of Canada, in the western half of the United States, including Alaska and Florida, and most of Central and South America.
- Panthers have strong jaws and larger, stronger hind legs compared to front legs, while cougars have large, muscular, and short legs.
- Panthers can easily roar, while Puma can growl, hiss, screech, and purr, but never roar.
- Panthers love to hunt animals like deer, wild boar, wild boar, tapirs, and antelope along with smaller species like birds and rabbits. On the other hand, Cougars hunt animals such as deer, raccoons, squirrels, foxes, rabbits, and skunks.
- Panthers are between 5.9 and 7.5 feet in length, while Cougars can be up to 9 feet long, but have an average length of between 6 and 8 feet.
- Panthers can weigh between 30 and 72 kg, while Puma can weigh between 29 and 90 kg.
Panther and Puma are members of the Felidae family. They both belong to the same Animalia kingdom and to the same Felidae family. Both species differ from each other in terms of size, color, characteristics, and many other things.
The word panther is used for animals that belong to the genus Panthera, including big cats like the tiger, lion, jaguar, and leopard. On the other hand, the word puma refers to the genus Puma.
Having different origins, both panthers and cougars are considered one of the most important and largest members of the cat family. They are one of the wildest animals in the big cat family in the world.