We explain that what is the difference between twitter and Instagram in detail with comparison table. The main difference between Instagram and Twitter is that while Instagram is a social media site designed for visual posts (such as images and videos), Twitter emerged as a text-based publishing site. Twitter can also be used to post pictures and videos, but its main use is still posting short news snippets or witty statements with a 280 character limit. difference between twitter and instagram
Instagram is infamous as a visual social media platform that offers a host of editing and publishing features. Twitter is known for its text-based ingenuity. It was launched as a one-of-a-kind microblogging site and later branched out to include some visual features. This is still the fundamental difference between the two sites. difference between twitter and instagram
Comparison table between Instagram and Twitter
|Type of content||Instagram is a visual platform, designed mainly for photos, videos, etc. However, the text can be published to the site only when it is accompanied by a visual content file.||Twitter is primarily used for microblogging news snippets, witty thoughts, and phrases. It is a text-oriented platform that also supports other input multimedia formats.|
|Character limit||Instagram does not have a known character limit as such. However, if the title of a post is longer than 240 characters, it hides the rest of the text.||Twitter imposes a strict character limit on its users. The new limit is 280 characters, which is an increase over the previous rule of 140 characters.|
|Stories||Instagram has a widely used ‘stories’ feature.||It does not have a ‘stories’ function.|
|Direct messaging||Instagram supports a maximum of 15 members in a group chat.||The maximum number of participants in a group chat chain can be 50.|
|Interact with posts||Likes and comments are the modes of interaction with publications on the site.||Re-tweeting, quoting, liking, and commenting are ways to interact with posts.|
What is Instagram?
Instagram is a popular social media platform popularized for its photo sharing features. The application was created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Kreiger in 2010. With more than 700 million users, the platform is widely used by members of the global community to share images, videos and other multimedia files.
Instagram has also cultivated an unrivaled reputation for advertising and maximizing sales. It is the preferred social media platform that brands use to drive sales of their products. Recently, the app has added more new features to its wide range of offerings. difference between twitter and instagram
What is Twitter?
Twitter is a social media platform used as a microblogging site, famous for its strict character limit rules. The platform was developed by Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, Noah Glass, Biz Stone and launched in 2006.
This American social media is famous for its text sharing features and is widely used by news anchors, celebrities, and politicians as well as ordinary people. Twitter is often used to post news headlines, witty comments, short sentences, and story threads.
Recently, Twitter increased its character limit from 140 to 280. Although the platform also supports other media file uploads such as images and videos, its primary use remains textual.
Key differences between Instagram and Twitter
- The main difference between these two widely used social media platforms is the type of content suitability for which each site is popularly used. While Instagram is used to post photos, videos, and audio files, Twitter is primarily used to post written statements that can be news headlines, witty lines, or simply used to share thoughts. Although Twitter allows a variety of posting styles, it has become famous for written news snippets. Instagram cannot be used to post written material unless such materials are accompanied by visual media files. difference between twitter and instagram
- The second fundamental difference between these two sites is in terms of the character limits imposed by each. Twitter currently has a 280 character character limit, which is an increase over its 140 character rule. Instagram does not have a known character limit on posts. However, after 240 characters, it hides the rest of the post. A user can access the rest of the title by clicking on the ‘read more’ option.
- Instagram allows users to post stories that comprise various media files. This feature is absent on Twitter. Twitter has just started testing a similar feature called ‘Fleet’ globally. However, it has not been officially released.
- Both platforms are quite similar on the direct messaging front, however when compared in terms of the group sizes each supports, Instagram allows 15 participants in each group chat, while Twitter allows 50 participants.difference between twitter and instagram
- The method of replying to posts is quite different on both platforms. While responding to a post on Instagram would involve the user commenting on the post, on Twitter the methods for sending a response are quite different. Quoting, re-tweeting, liking and replying are the ways that users can interact with posts on Twitter. difference between twitter and instagram
Final Thought difference between twitter and instagram
Both social media platforms are recognized worldwide for their individual strengths. Each is preferred by users who like the features of one application more than the other.
Twitter and Instagram are very different from each other. While Twitter was created with the vision of posting content primarily in text format with hashtags, Instagram was created as a primarily visual medium, dedicated to posting images, videos, etc.
Twitter has a strict 280 character limit that is religiously imposed on users of the platform. While Instagram doesn’t have a known character limit, it temporarily hides posts longer than 240 characters. difference between twitter and instagram
The stories feature on Instagram is one of the app’s most loved offerings. Stories on Instagram disappear after 24 hours of posting. Twitter currently does not have an equivalent feature, although it is testing a similar feature called ‘Fleet’, which will soon be rolled out globally.
The modalities of interaction with the publications are also quite different for both applications. Retweeting, liking, quoting are ways to interact with a post on Twitter. Likes and comments are the only available ways to interact with a post on Instagram.
The direct message feature is quite similar on both platforms, but Instagram allows only 15 users in a group chat, while Twitter allows a maximum of 50 participants in each group chat. difference between twitter and instagram