We explain what behavior is and what types of behavior exist. What factors regulate it and its role in the adaptation of the individual.
What is conduct?
Behavior refers to the behavior of people . In the field of psychology , behavior is understood to be the expression of the particularities of the subjects, that is, the manifestation of the personality . That is why the concept refers to the visible and external factors of individuals.
It is understood that there are three factors that regulate or influence behavior, these are:
- End. First the end. It is from the objective of the behavior that the behavior acquires a meaning and gives rise to an interpretation.
- Motivation . Second is motivation, that is, that behavior has something that mobilizes it.
- Causality. The conduct also possesses or occurs for a certain cause.
Furthermore, it is considered that there are two more elements that direct behavior, they are the elements of society and the environment , and the biological elements.
- Elements of the environment. In the first case, reference is made to the environment in which the subject is immersed, both in relation to the physical and social environment, including the institutions that comprise it. In other words, only external factors are referred to.
- Biological elements. Linked to the genetic issues that are determining in the biological process . In other words, they have an internal character. In addition, other factors such as diet or the months of gestation in the womb can be added. That is why the basis of human behavior is related to both the psychological and physiological parts of people, in a complementary way.
It is understood that people have different behaviors, defining in this case the behavior as a reaction. The diversity of behaviors is due to the fact that individuals desire different ends , are in different circumstances and are different as persons. In this way it is exposed that the behavior responds to the end, to the stimulus and the precise moment in which the subject is.
Behavior as an adaptation tool
Behavior is in turn a tool that allows the individual to adapt to the environment in which he is immersed. That is why there are different types of behavior:
- Reflexes. They are automatic behaviors that are very simple since they represent the response to a given stimulus.
- Intelligence. This is another type of behavior that is very difficult to analyze and understand and also has great changes.
- Unconscious behaviors. They respond to an adaptation to the situation very quickly, without necessarily knowing the reasons that move the subjects in this case.
- Adaptive behaviors. They are used by individuals to be able to insert themselves socially. For this they require learning , motivations and memory .
- Communicative behavior. It is expressed through language , be it oral, written, by signs, etc.
The behaviorism is one of the most important trends of psychology. It is supported by the philosophy of praxis. This current understands that behaviors must be scientifically analyzed , integrating planes such as emotional, motor, cognitive and sensory.
To do this, it sets out three moments in the process:
- behaviorism itself,
- the analysis of the behavior through experience,
- the structure of behavior.