We explain what patience is and why it is considered a value. In addition, some phrases about this human capacity.
What is patience?
It is known as the human ability to withstand or tolerate annoying, irritating or adversity situations in order to achieve a desired objective , or to do so in a desired manner.
Patients could thus endure external conditions with equanimous spirit, that is, controlling their emotions and knowing how to wait or persevere in their behavior .
This term comes from Latin, especially from the word pati (“suffer”), inheritance of the Greek pathos . Hence, he is related to a patient (hospital): “he who suffers.” Perhaps that is why Christianity assumes it as one of its virtues of the spirit, since this early religion valued the suffering of the body as a way of elevation towards God.
However, it is a common feature among personalities held as mature or enlightened , not only in Western tradition , but in Eastern ones. Zen Buddhism often represents its wise men as infinitely patient, free from the urgencies and abuses of youth or ignorance.
It is often interpreted as the ability to wait for things to occur , without anticipating or distressing excessively, but should not in that sense be confused with comfort, depression or apathy.
It is, unlike these, an active stance against the events that are desired to occur. The opposite of it, is impatience, that is, trouble, haste, despair.
Patience As A Value
It has been considered a value by various human cultural traditions, and today it is considered a feature of every mature personality. However, it can be seen in various ways and in different situations:
- As perseverance . The talent to resist in situations of slowness, oppression or prolonged waiting, such as bureaucratic procedures, waiting rooms in the doctor or the delay of a means of transport, is one of the main forms of patience. Patients do not despair when faced with these situations, and understand that getting frustrated and leaving the race early will not lead them to cross the finish line . Instead, insisting on their task despite the annoying waiting, will eventually give them what they pursue.
- As tolerance . Another valuable form of patience is that which is exhibited to irritating, annoying or contrary behavior of other individuals. Instead of raging, bothering or embarking on useless fights, which usually don’t solve anything, patient people can tolerate dissent, let others express themselves despite not agreeing or even waiting for the right time to give their opinion. time. In this way, patience can also lead to assertiveness .
- As self-control . Another emblematic case of patience is that which occurs when we are forced to postpone something that we desire very much, when information is not immediately revealed or we are in a stressful, violent or frightening situation. Patience can then be imposed as a method and allow us to arrive with a cool head on the best path to our goal. That is, patience can consist of waiting for the perfect moment to undertake a desired action.
Phrases About Patience
Some phrases and proverbs related it, can be the following:
- Anything can be obtained through perseverance and patience.
- Patience is the path to wisdom.
- The fruit of bitter patience is sweet.
- Whoever is a teacher in patience, can be in anything else.
- Patience is concentrated strength.
- The best is waiting.
- God’s time is perfect.
- Not much early gets up early.
- Easy comes, easy leaves.
- Patience is hope with a lamp on.
- Rome did not conquer in one day.
- Drop by drop the glass is filled.
- Little by little you get far.
- Drop by drop, the water drills the stone.
- Patience is the art of hope.