We explain what management administration is and the differences between management and administration. Project management and public management.
What is management?
Management is the process of coordination and administration of tasks to achieve a goal. Business management refers to the planning of processes to achieve the objectives of a company or organization.
Administrative management includes the mechanisms, actions and forms from which the financial, human and material resources of a company are used. In this way, administrative management is delimited from the following question: What are the objectives of the organization?
Within the administrative management four basic principles are identified:
- Planning It has to do with the delimitation of the objectives of the organization, followed by an action plan that responds to those objectives.
- Order. The order in which the steps to achieve the established objectives will be carried out is determined.
- Discipline. It has to do with the organized and systematic way in which the different tasks must be carried out to achieve the initial objectives.
- Coherence. It has to do with the designation of tasks and responsibilities in a rational way so that each employee can specify the tasks in a timely manner, in accordance with the plans designed. At this point the amount of human , economic and material resources that will be required to achieve the established objectives is also taken into consideration.
Difference between management and administration
Management and administration are two concepts that are used within the business environment , but are not synonyms. While management refers to the exercise of certain responsibilities within an organization, management has to do with the control, organization and direction of resources within a company .
- It refers to a series of responsibilities that are exercised in order to achieve the objectives of the organization.
- It focuses on monitoring the resources available to achieve the objectives set.
- Coordinates the different functions that must participate in the scope of the objectives.
- It includes the procedures required to achieve the objectives.
- It has an executive role.
- It is responsible for deciding who will do each task and how.
- Represents the staff of the firm.
- It includes a series of techniques that have to do with the planning, control and management of the resources that the company has to obtain the maximum possible benefit from them.
- It includes a series of administrative principles and practices that apply to the conformation of a system that works for a series of common purposes. To do this, the different teams must work in a coordinated manner.
- It depends on the decision-making linked to achieving the greatest possible benefits. These decisions, at the same time, limit the management of the company.
- His role is decisive.
- Decide what should be done and when.
- Represents the owners of the firm, who make a profit .
Project management is a series of methodologies aimed at the planning and direction of the processes that make up a particular project.
A project is defined as a set of operations designed to achieve a specific objective .
Each project must determine what is its scope , what will be the necessary resources for its realization and what are the start and end times.
Each project should be expanded in the following points:
- What are the phases of the project.
- How much will it cost to complete the project (a budget).
- What are the objectives pursued.
- How long will it take to achieve the objectives set?
- What will be the scope of the project.
Public management involves a number of entities that are responsible for the administration of state resources .
Its purpose is the satisfaction of the needs of the population along with the promotion of state development .
Those who carry out public management have the responsibility of carrying out the tasks related to the administration of the different state areas and of the programs that aim to improve the public sector.
In addition, they participate in the design and promotion of projects that have to do with public policies , are part of the development processes, are involved in the use of new management strategies and are the ones that must implement any kind of evaluation and control of administrative activities .
In public management, the goals and objectives of the public sector are established, what are their priorities, and what procedures will be carried out to achieve those goals.
The parliament is the power that determines what will be the functions, tasks and responsibilities that will fall on the public administration.
Management uses various instruments to function, first refer to the control and improvement of processes , secondly the found files , they will take care to preserve data and finally the tools to consolidate data and to make decisions you successful .
Anyway, it is important to know that these tools vary over the years , that is, they are not static, especially those that refer to the world of computing . That is why managers must change the instruments they use often.
One of the techniques used in management is the fragmentation of institutions . This means that you try to differentiate sectors or departments. Within each sector, the instruments mentioned above will be applied to be able to manage them separately and coordinate it with the rest.
Who are the Managers?
People who take the commitment to organize and direct the institutions are usually called managers. They are responsible for the profitability and success of the agencies for which they work.
Many of the people who reach these positions do so through the career they have done throughout their lives , occupying in various places in the institution for which they work . It is considered that good managers have certain characteristics is common.
Some of them are the recognition of the good performance of their peers or subordinates and in turn the good criticisms that they are capable of making. They are suitable to support and help the rest of the staff when required, training and guiding them clearly, with precise objectives. They are usually people who generate sincere communication and that stimulate trust among the individuals with whom they work. Good managers usually choose personally what they will work closely with. He also tries to gain the respect of the staff he works with.
Management as a process: The stages
There are those who consider that management is a process in which certain stages can be recognized:
- The first of these is planning , it is at this stage where the short and long term objectives will be set and how they will be achieved. It is from this organization where the rest of the stages will be determined.
- Then the organization can be mentioned , at this time the managers determine in detail the procedure to achieve the previously formulated objectives. For this purpose, the disposition of labor relations and who will lead them are created. In other words, the structure that will organize the institution is created.
- The third stage is to lead , in this case it is tried that the personnel possesses a direction and motivation, in such a way that it is possible to reach the objectives.
- Finally, the control must be mentioned , in this case the manager (s) examine whether the planning is respected and the objectives are met. For this they must be able to make certain corrections and directions if the rules are not followed.