We explain what office automation is and what are the tools it uses. In addition, its main features and procedures.
What is office automation?
Office automation is a set of computer tools that are used to optimize, improve and automate the procedures performed in an office. The word office is an acronym formed by office and computer science.
Office automation tools allow devise, create, store and manipulate information , but must be the computer itself or if connected to a network of Internet . The office structure is usually made up of computers and their peripherals.
Any activity that is carried out manually within an office complex can be done with office tools in a much better, simpler and faster way.
The office began to develop in the 70s with the massification and modernization of office products, it was a positive and important change, such as the jump from typewriters to desktop computers or the invention of the photocopier . Currently the main provider of office suites is Microsoft Office, although it is paid, and within the free providers is OpenOffice.
Some office procedures and tools are:
- Word processor
- Utilities (for example calculators)
- Computer packages such as Microsoft Office
- Email programs
We will see some tools and their characteristics:
- Word . It is a word processor. It is used to write and format any type of text . Other things can also be done, such as web pages .
- Excel . Its main function is the spreadsheet , there you can create files for, for example, invoices, keep track of an account statement, compile statistics and so on.
- Access . It is a database management tool. Here you can control an inventory, keep track of books and other similar actions.
- Power Point . It is the ideal program to develop presentations. It is ideal to accompany speeches. You can insert images, sounds , videos and others.
- Outlook . It serves to manage the email . It also includes the possibility of keeping track of an agenda with a calendar. It also has reminders.