We explain what advertising is and when this means of dissemination emerged. In addition, what are its stages and the techniques it uses.
What is advertising?
Advertising is a means of dissemination in which various organizations, companies , individuals, NGOs , among others, try to make themselves known, announce or simply refer to certain goods, services , in order to interest potential buyers, users, etc.
Within marketing , advertising is considered the most effective means of attracting the attention of the required public . To carry out this function, publicists and agencies specialized in the subject are hired.
These are intended to create an advertisement that will then be published in various media , whether through pamphlets, radio, television , etc. Currently one of the most used media is the Internet.
When did the advertising come about?
Advertising as we know it arises from the last years of the 19th century . This is due to the second Industrial Revolution and the need to address as many individuals as possible.
It is also at this time the media begin to have a great development, which in turn need to be funded , which is why it is considered that a kind of partnership was formed between the media and advertising.
After the Second World War there is a new explosion in the world of advertising, and many techniques and media that we still use today begin to emerge.
Phases or stages of advertising
Within the advertising world, three phases can be highlighted:
- Promotion phase Also known under the name of the initial stage, here we try to expose the new goods or services produced.
- Competition phase At this moment the product that is promoted is positioned in the market, but not in the desired place, that is why it is tried to increase its demand .
- Image conservation phase. The good or service obtained the demand that is desired by the bidders. That is why they launch campaigns to maintain the image they already enjoy.
In addition, when the advertising campaigns have already been launched, a research stage begins . The objective is to know the effectiveness of advertising. Some of the reasons are to know the acceptance or rejection of the public, to know if the message reaches the desired public and finally, to know if the advertising costs, which are usually high, are paid for the profits obtained thanks to them.
What are the advertising techniques?
Various resources and techniques are used in advertising to attract potential users or buyers.
- Some of the concrete techniques are, for example, scarcity . In this case they create campaigns whose production stock is limited, it is in this way that they create a certain urgency of purchase.
- Peer approval is also used , which shows satisfied characters with whom potential applicants may feel reflected and identified.
- Other times the product is advertised from the clear and simple information, however other times scientific resources are used , where they demonstrate from certain figures the satisfaction of the buyers or the good results obtained.
- Many times slogans can be identified where the guarantee is paramount, that is to say that the positive results will last for years or if the client is not satisfied their money can be returned.
- On certain occasions certain fears of potential users or buyers are exploited to encourage their demand, this is a resource widely used in insurance.