We explain what a diptongo is and the types of diphthong that exist. In addition, some examples of this vocal combination.
What is Diptongo? what is diptongo
The diphthong is the combination of two vowels in a syllable within a word . There may be a diphthong consisting of two closed or weak vowels, remember that the closed vowels are the i and the u, one closed and one open, in this case, the open ones are a, eyo, or vice versa, one open and one closed.
It is necessary to mention that two open vowels do not make up diphthong , but must be separated into syllables and form another phenomenon called hiatus, which is the separation of two vowels within a word. what is diptongo
The letter h in the middle of the vowels does not prevent the diphthong from occurring. It is also possible to form diphthong with the letter and by its vowel sound. what is diptongo
Types of Diphthong what is diptongo
The types of diphthong can be:
- Homogeneous Diphthong : Formed by two weak or closed vowels.
- Growing Diphthong : Formed by a weak and a strong vowel.
- Decreasing Diphthong : Formed by a strong and a weak vowel. what is diptongo
Examples of diphthongs
- Two closed vowels : The i can be combined with the u to form iu as for example in widow, city , native. On the other hand we can form the combination ui (or more i) as it appears for example in the words judgment, noise, caring.
- A closed and an open vowel : The combinations are three for the i and three for the u. Thus we have, ia , as an elder, to; ie , as in fear, earth and time ; io , as in the beginning, boyfriend, louse. On the other hand we have the combination ua , as in monthly, soft, aquarium; It was , as if in smell, well, bone; uo , as in individual, residue, monster. what is diptongo
- An open and a closed vowel : In this case we have two combinations for vowel a, two for e and two for o. So we can form diphthongs: ai , as in dance, landscape and air ; au , as in dawn, car, Laura; ei , as in twenty, oil, lawsuit; eu , as in fief, euphoria, debt; oi , as in oigo, coima, beret; and ou , as in Souffle, Round, Lourdes. what is diptongo
Vowel combinations that produce diphthong what is diptongo
In total, there are 14 combinations of vowels that can be given in words with diphthong , and they are the following:
- UO. For example: c uo ta, ambig uo
- UI. For example: c ui dar, r ui do
- EU. For example: b ue no, c ue rpo
- UA. For example: g ua rdar, parag ua s
- UI. For example: c iu Dades, tr iu nfo
- IO. For example: v io lencia, v io lín.
- IE. For example: t ie mbla, s ie mbra
- AI. For example: c ai ga, v ai na
- OU. For example: g ou rmet, L ou rdes
- I HEARD. For example: hey, heroic
- EU. For example: Eu staquio, r eu nion
- EI. For example: r ei nar, ac ei te
- AU. For example: au topista, c au dal
- AI. For example: b ai le, ai re
Examples of words with diphthong
|Parag ua s||Ac ei tar|
|B oi nas||S ou come|
|C u rdo||F eu dal|
|R ui doso||C ue nto|
|L ou rdes||V iu do|
|Af ei tar||M ue the|
|P ei nado||C ua dras|
|C ue rdas||P ue blada|
|C oi ncidence||L au rel|
|F ue go||R ue da|
Examples of sentences with diphthong
- Bring true Luzho ua s and b oi na because p ue raining. Also, there is a lot of snow on the streets.
- The journalist goes hac ia the Democratic Republic of the Congo. what is diptongo
- Mark enc ue NTRA in a r eu nion, to see if you can refinance your d eu da with the bank.
- F ui mos to the t ea tro see an excellent work. The protagonist was a v iu gives it avenged the murderer of her husband.
- R ei MPACT is an aggravating factor, as I explained j ue z at ie nof c au sa. what is diptongo
- For your wedding will make a p i swim fabulous with the hairdresser at ie nde in af ue flush with the c iu dad.
- S ie mpre say the c ue SWTR clear retain the friendship. Cr eo is c ie rto.
- I’m reading the same c ue nto what c oi MPACT.
- In Eu clothes I tried the dessert v ai nilla more delic io so of the world. what is diptongo
- I loved the comed ia musical that f ui we see. The p ia nist played as d io ses.
- The enc ue tro m ae stros be in the au magna remaining on the first floor of the esc ue ‘s.
- D io colored flowers v io leta.
- As s ie mpre, we were ab ai lar to the bowling center c iu dad.
- In case g ua rda in Backpack g ua efore, it may be that there are n ie seen in that part of the mountain.
- We are Dirig ie NDO hac ia j au of monkeys because Man ue l is eager to see them. what is diptongo
- The m ae stra math gave us a lot of c ue SWTR task because the au ‘s we misbehave.
- G ua rdemos the au to in the garage. I was told that this c iu dad must have c ui given because there are many thefts.
- No p ue do stop scratching my head, cr eo I have p io jos.
- There is a lot v ie nto and is beginning to fill up all of t ie rra. Best g ua rdemos everything in the basket.
- The elections f ue rum a real tr iu nfo for c iu zens.
What is a hiatus? what is diptongo
A hiatus is two vowels in a row that form two syllables .
When there are two strong vowels together we always speak of hiatus, because those two vowels belong to two different syllables :
pe-ón (2), lo-ar (2), ca-os (2), ra-le-a (3)
In the event that there is a weak vowel but it is a tonic (take accent), the diphthong is undone, it becomes a hiatus and we already have two syllables: what is diptongo
pi-o (2), ca-í-da (3), ru -a (2), a-ú-na (3).
What is tripthong what is diptongo
The word ‘tripthong’ comes from the Greek and literally means “three sounds”. A tripthong is a sequence of three vowels that are pronounced within the same syllable.
In Spanish, this vowel combination is formed by the union of three vowels, two closed or weak (“i”, “u”) and an open or strong one (“a”, “e”, “o”). The vowel structure of a triphthong always follows the following structure: “closed vowel + open vowel + closed vowel” so that the central position is occupied by the open or strong vowel, which functions as a syllabic nucleus.
If the vowel combination does not follow the previous scheme, it is not a triphthong, as in the word “volvíais”, where the accent or blow of the voice does not fall on the central vowel but on the first vowel, so it is either a hiatus followed by a diphthong (when the first closed vowel is a tonic, as in “vivíais”) or we are facing a diphthong followed by a hiatus (when the second vowel is the tonic, as in “cleaners”). what is diptongo
Therefore, it is important to bear in mind that not all words with three successive vowels form triphthongs, since it is essential that the accent falls on the central vowel, which must be an open or strong vowel.
When does the diphthong occur?
When in the same syllable we find two vowels together that can be:
- Strong vowel (a, e, o) plus Weak vowel (i, u)
- Weak vowel plus weak vowel (i and u in the same word)
EXAMPLE: what is diptongo
HIENA: HIE-NA (weak i plus strong e)
SOFT: SUA-VE (the weak u plus the strong a)
Other examples: Old man, city, beret.
An important fact to keep in mind is that in the case that a vowel is closed and there is more one open vowel, or vice versa, the open vowel must be tonic. And in the case of the two closed vowels, both must be different.
Those words that have an h between vowels are also diphthongs. For example:
AHIJADO: AHI-JA-DO what is diptongo
It is important that you remember the rules of accentuation for placing accents in words when they are high, low or esdrújula. For example, when the diphthong is formed by an open vowel and a closed vowel (or vice versa), it is always placed a tilde in the open vowel:
When does tripthong occur?
When the word has three vowels in the same syllable. Its composition is like this: what is diptongo
- Weak vowel plus strong vowel plus weak vowel
RIAIS: (weak I, strong A, weak I)
PARAGUAY: In this case a tripthong is also produced since the y has the same sound as the Latin i.
In this way the triphthong and diphthong are the same in the sense that they unite the vowels in the same syllable. This is the main difference with the hiatus. Let’s see it in depth.
When does the hiatus occur?
When they sound in beats of different voices. In other words, when the vowels are separated into syllables. It is formed in this way:
- Two vowels open together
- Two vowels closed together
CHIITA: CHI-I-TA (two vowels closed together)
CACAO: CA-CA-O (two vowels open together)
An accentual or adiphtonal hiatus can also occur, which occurs when weak vowels (i, u) are loaded with the accent and produce separation, acting as an independent syllable. It is on the weak vowel where the weight of pronunciation falls.
FOR EXAMPLE:what is diptongo
DAY: DAY-A (weak vowel plus strong vowel)
In this case, the accented í produces the hiatus since the pronunciation is different. Therefore, when separated into syllables, they cannot be together.
Other examples would be: Mine, I fell, I heard, fluoride
Let’s go with a brief review, which summarizes everything we saw today: The diphthong and the tripthong join vowels in the same blow of voice, instead the hiatus separates them.
The best way to learn is by practicing with many dictations, you can ask your parents for help to tell you words that you should write. Also, it is good to identify each word that you find in the texts that you read frequently. Try to think if it is a diphthong or hiatus.what is diptongo
Finally, we recommend that you create a reading habit. The more you read, the easier it will be to write the better, because visual memory will help you when a word is misspelled, this will make it easier for you to learn the school calendar better.
Difference between diphthong, Triphthong and Hiatus by comparison table
What is it?
How is it accentuated?
It is the set of two vowels that are pronounced in the same syllable.
They can be:
– An open vowel and a closed
– Two closed vowels (c ui dar).
They follow the general rules of accentuation.
– The tilde is always placed on the open vowel: com ái s, llor éi s.
– If the diphthong is formed by two closed vowels, the accent is placed on the second: c uí date .
The h does not prevent the diphthong when there are two vowels that are part of the same syllable: ahu mado, ahi jado.
It is the set of three vowels (one closed, one open and one closed) pronounced in the same syllable: waste iái s .
They follow the general rules of accentuation.
Triphthongs always carry an accent on the open vowel, which appears in an intermediate position: inquire üéi s, ade uái s, aprec iéi s.
|what is diptongo|
It is the succession of two vowels that are pronounced in different syllables. The sequence can be made up of:
– Two different open vowels: J aire , c oa cción, hér oe.
– Unstressed open vowel + stressed closed vowel or vice versa: C aí n, r eí r, al ía , slip , p úa.
Words with a hiatus formed by two open vowels carry an accent according to the general rules of accentuation: J Ae n carries an accent because it is an acute word ending in -n.
Words with a hiatus composed of an unstressed open vowel + stressed closed vowel or vice versa have an accent over the closed one:
The h does not prevent the hiatus when two vowels are pronounced in different syllables: b UHwhat is diptongoO.