We explain what an entrepreneur is and the types of entrepreneur that exist. In addition, the characteristics necessary to succeed.
What is an entrepreneur ?
The word entrepreneur comes from French and is synonymous with entrepreneur, a term used in the business world to refer to who organizes and operates various organizational initiatives , running a certain margin of financial risk in it. It should not be confused with the term entrepreneur , which simply refers to who works or runs a company.
This term, so in vogue in recent times, originated in the eighteenth century, at the beginning of industrial capitalism , when Anglo-French economist Richard Cantillon used it to define who “pays a certain price to resell a product at a price uncertain, making decisions about obtaining and using resources, and admitting the risk inherent in entrepreneurship. ”
At present, the term entrepreneur denotes business leaders who, moved by their passions (and not only by the idea of accumulating capital ) decide to risk opening a viable project, assuming the risks that entails.
Celebrities from the business and industrial world such as Bill Gates or Steve Jobs are an example of this , and they distinguish themselves from businessmen or entrepreneurs in that the latter would lack that innovative, risky spirit, preferring to opt for safe paths that lead to economic gain.
Types of entrepreneur
Several types of entrepreneurs are commonly talked about:
- Empre ndedores corporate or business . Those who risk raising a young and innovative company (known as Startup ) from their passions or knowledge .
- Digital entrepreneurs . Those who use the Internet and new technologies of communication and information for their businesses, emphasizing the possibilities of these new media.
- Social entrepreneurs . Those who are committed to the creation of other types of associations and organizations that are not necessarily commercial, such as NGOs or other political or community organizations.
Characteristics of an entrepreneur
Although the adventure of entrepreneurship is very unique and personal depending on the case, most of the time it is said that an entrepreneur must have the following characteristics to succeed:
- Passion . Entrepreneurs are not simply businessmen. They are people driven by an intimate, personal purpose, who want to make a sustainable reality.
- Vision . The projection to the future and the perception of the windows of opportunity are key in the development of an enterprise .
- Confidence . Since the margins of uncertainty in a venture are usually very high, an entrepreneur must have self-confidence and the ability to tolerate and improvise that dealing with it requires.
- Leadership . An entrepreneur is an inspirer, not just a boss. You must be an example for your team and lead them on the road to completion.
- Honesty . Entrepreneurs bet too much on their dreams to ruin them through dishonest practices that give them a bad name or close their doors.
- Innovation . The ventures are the order of the day, so they must be fast, be up to date and know very well what are the changes that occur in the business, social or political culture that interests them.