We explain what reading is and how this habit is acquired. In addition, what are the different reading methods we know.
What is reading?
To read is to place ourselves in front of a written text and decode the message that the author wants to convey to us.
Reading is a mental and visual process . In this process the meaning of a text is deduced, its content is interpreted, the message is understood, inferences and questions are made.
Reading is not only playing a text in sounds, but it is an interaction activity . When we write a text we organize the content of our thinking so that the other can understand it by reading.
You learn to read at a very young age, but it is necessary to deepen reading comprehension techniques so that readings is not only superficial but also of learning . The most important thing is not to read fast but to read well. Reading well implies understanding what is read and thus being able to acquire knowledge.
It is important that as a child the habit of reading is acquired . Nowadays, children, with the impact of new technologies , do not usually embrace readings habits. Therefore, parents and teachers should make the effort to teach them to enjoy readings and reflect.
The human being can read on average 250 words per minute . When the text creates difficulties, the reader can make regressions , that is, reread parts of the text that will help him understand. Reading ability depends on many factors, such as the complexity of the text, readability, font size, paratext, reader concentration, fatigue, certain diseases, effects of alcohol, and so on.
When readings aloud is called vocalization , the words that are being read are articulated in sounds . Readings high speed and understanding are less.
People who cannot use their eyes to read use the Braille method, that is, they read with their hands.
It is also important to mention that we can read music and even mathematical and chemical formulas .
- Sequential readings : It is the traditional way of readings a text, with our own time from when we begin until we finish a text without repetitions or omissions.
- Timely readings : In this case only fragments that are of interest to the reader are read.
- Diagonal readings : The reader reads the special fragments of a text such as the titles, the first sentences of the paragraphs, the typographically highlighted words, highlighted elements, such as citations or formulas, and so on.
- Scanning : It is a quick readings of the text in which individual words are searched.
- Fast readings : It is similar to diagonal readings but seeks greater concentration.
- PhotoReadings : In it the reader reads a complete page to get a general idea.
Whatever the way of readings, it is necessary to take into account the importance of readings. A person who does not know how to read is called illiterate . The Dyslexia , on the other hand, is the inability of a person to read.