What is office automation?
Office automation is a set of computer tools that are used to optimize, improve and automate the procedures performed in an office. The word office is an acronym formed by office and computer .
Office automation tools allow devise, create, store and manipulate information , but must be the computer itself or if connected to a network of Internet . The office structure is usually constituted by computers and their peripherals.
Office automation began to develop in the 70’s with the massification and modernization of office products, was a positive and important change, such as the jump from typewriters to desktop computers or the invention of the photocopier . Currently the main provider of office suites is Microsoft Office, although it is paid, and within the free providers is OpenOffice.
Some procedures and office tools are:
- Word processor
- Utilities (for example calculators)
- Computer packages such as Microsoft Office
- Email programs
We will see some tools and their characteristics:
- Word : It is a word processor. It is used to write and format any type of text . You can also do other kinds of things, like web pages .
- Excel : Its main function is the spreadsheet , there you can create files of, for example, invoices, keep track of an account statement, compile statistics and so on.
- Access : It is a database management tool. Here you can control an inventory, keep a book record and other similar actions.
- Power Point : It is the ideal program to develop presentations. It is ideal to accompany speeches. You can insert images, sounds , videos and more.
- Outlook : Used to manage email. It also includes the possibility of keeping track of an agenda with a calendar. It also has reminders.
See also: Operating System .