Physical structure of the website
The physical structure of a website refers to the structure determined by the actual directory of the website and the location where the files are stored.
Generally speaking, there are two kinds of better physical structures. One is flat , that is, all web pages exist in the root directory of the website. like this:
All of these pages are at the root directory level, forming a flat physical structure.
This is more suitable for small websites, because if too many files are placed in the root directory, it is cumbersome to make and maintain, and it is easy to mess.
The second is the tree structure, that is, the root directory is divided into multiple channels, or categories, directories, etc., what is the name, is a meaning, and then put a page belonging to this channel under each channel. . For example, channels are divided into:
Place a specific content page under the channel:
Logical structure or link structure of the website
The second meaning of the structure of the website refers to the logical structure or link structure , that is, the logical or linked network diagram formed by the internal links of the web page.
The better case is that the logical structure matches the previous tree structure, that is:
- Homepage link to all channel homepages
- Homepages generally don’t link directly to content pages, except for a few special pages that you really want to push.
- All channel homepages are connected to other channel homepages
- The channel home page is connected back to the website homepage
- The channel homepage is also connected to the content page belonging to its own channel.
- The channel homepage is generally not connected to content pages belonging to other channels.
- All content pages are linked to the website homepage
- All content pages are connected to your own previous channel homepage
- Content pages can be linked to other content pages on the same channel
- Content pages are generally not connected to content pages of other channels
- Content pages In some cases, you can connect to content pages of other channels with appropriate keywords.
- Channel formation sub-theme
Carefully read the previous sentences, you can clearly see that these links will naturally form a tree network diagram, and this logical or linked network can coincide with the physical structure, or it can be different. For example, a flat physical structure website can also form a logical tree structure through links.
More important to search engines is the logical structure formed by links.
Many people have misunderstood that web pages with deep physical structures are not easily indexed by search engines. For example
Is it not easy to be included in a web page with a deep directory structure like this? That’s not necessarily true. If the page has a link on the home page of the site, it is just a secondary page next to the home page for the search engine.
The inclusion is easy or not because of the distance of several clicks from the home page, not its physical location.
For sites of a slightly larger size, a website with a general tree-like logical structure is better.
Judging from the website I read, most Chinese webmasters and SEO websites have a clearer logical thinking, so most Chinese websites are made according to this structure. In fact, the logical structure of many English websites is really quite chaotic.