We explain the difference between OOP and POP with table. Computer programming languages play an important role in everything from education to almost every service. Programming languages work on predefined high-level structural procedures. The technical term given to these structures is “programming paradigm”. Difference between OOP and POP
Different computer languages use different paradigms. Different paradigms are followed to develop software, games, websites, applications, etc. Difference between OOP and POP
Some of the most widely used paradigms are the procedural paradigm, the object-oriented paradigm, the functional paradigm, the structural paradigm, etc. The object-oriented paradigm and the procedure-oriented paradigm are the two most widely used paradigms.
To acquire the accuracy of the result of a program, it is important to select the appropriate structure according to the duration of the program. Difference between OOP and POP
The difference between object-oriented programming and procedure-oriented programming is that an OOP splits a program into several small objects following a bottom-up approach to reach the problem results, while a POP splits the entire program into smaller procedures or functions. following a top-down approach. Difference between OOP and POP
Comparison table between OOP and POP (in tabular form)
Comparison parameter Object-oriented programming Procedure-oriented programming
|Basic concept followed||Object-oriented programming is based on objects that have data in their fields that are called attributes.||Procedure-oriented programming is based on the idea of procedures and functions.|
|Program division||Pop works by dividing the program into several small objects.||Pop works by dividing the entire program into small procedures.|
|Focus followed||Oop follows the bottom-up approach.||Pop follows the top-down approach.|
|Access||Access control supports access modifiers.||Pop has no access modifiers.|
|Used in||C ++, Python, Java.||C, PASCAL, FORTRAN, COBOL, VB, Basic.|
What is OOP?
OOP refers to Object Oriented Programming, it is a programming structure that is based on the concept of “Objects”. Objects are made of data and code. The data is present in the form of fields, these fields are called properties or attributes where the codes are present in the form of procedures, called methods.
Objects in OOP have a tendency to access and modify their own data fields. Objects in OOP are independent, which means that modifying an object is easier. One of the advantages of OOP is that it is a more secure framework for programming languages because it provides data hiding.
OOPS uses the basic idea of creating objects, reusing them during program execution, and using them to get results. OOP objects follow some of the basic principles, namely: abstraction, encapsulation, inheritance, and polymorphism.
In abstraction, only essential features are represented on the main front and unnecessary details are placed in the background. Encapsulation is a technique to hide data or variables of an object from other objects. Heredity, as the word represents, is the tendency to acquire the qualities of the main objects for itself. The tendency to take multiple forms in data, objects, or procedures is known as polymorphism.
OOP is mainly used in languages like C ++, Python, Java, etc.
What is POP?
POP stands for Procedure Oriented Programming. The procedure-oriented programming structure divides the entire program into several small groups of instructions known as functions. It is based on the idea of procedures rather than data following a top-down approach.
The functions work like an algorithm and each of these functions has a predefined purpose. Thus, in POP, a program is seen as a sequence of procedures to be carried out step by step. POP works by separating the code from the data.
In POP, functions share global data with each other, which means that data can be moved from one function to another. But global data makes modifying a single function difficult and time-consuming. If only one piece of data is to be modified, all other functions must also be modified.
The procedure-oriented programming structure is less secure because it does not hide data. The POP structure is used in VB, COBOL, FORTRAN, Basic, Pascal, etc.
Main differences between OOP and POP
- Object-oriented programming is based on the concept of dividing a program into objects, while procedure-oriented programming is based on the concept of dividing a program into smaller procedures and functions.
- Oop follows a bottom-up approach to problem solving, while Pop uses a top-down approach to problem solving.
- In OOP, access control supports access modifiers, but there is no concept of access modifiers in POP.
- OOP is an effective approach to solving large programs, while POP is suitable for medium-length programs.
- Modifying data in OOP is easier because each object is independent, while modifying it in POP is difficult and time-consuming. Difference between OOP and POP
- OOP is used in languages like C ++, Python, Java, while POP is used in C, FORTRAN, PASCAL, Basic.
- OOP is a more secure programming structure since it has a notion of data hiding, while POP is a less secure structure since it does not provide data hiding.
- OOP can perform various functions together, while POP is a step-by-step procedure.
- OOP provides data overhead in the form of functions and operators, while POP does not provide overhead.
- Existing code can be reused in OOP with inheritance property whereas in POP there is no inheritance.
All high-level languages follow certain programming structures to run programs and arrive at results. Selecting an appropriate and effective programming structure makes it easier to get results from your programs.
OOP and POP, both are programming structures used for modern programming languages. The OOP and POP programming structures are widely used. But before using these structures it is important to know them.
Both programming structures have their advantages and disadvantages. One can take advantage of its advantages by selecting the right structure to solve problems.