We explain that what is the difference between fat and oil? Although the terms fat and oil are not synonymous, they are similar. Both have in common being lipid substances. On the one hand, fat is the lipid that is solid at room temperature, while oil , on the other hand, is the lipid that is liquid at room temperature.
What are fats? what is the difference between fat and oil
This is a semi-solid material that is composed of a base oil, a series of additives and a thickener. The types of components and concentrations make up the fat depending largely on the application to be had. It is used to reduce friction between two pieces that reduces wear. what is the difference between fat and oil
Multiple types of grease are known such as lithium, sodium fats and calcium fats. It is common to use sodium grease in bearings, while calcium grease is used to lubricate the chassis of cars.
Multipurpose greases that combine various characteristics of fats, reducing the use of various types of fats, have now become known. what is the difference between fat and oil
What is oil? what is the difference between fat and oil
They are those used to prevent moving metal parts from having direct contact with another part, thus reducing friction and wear between the moving parts. Another important feature of this product is to spread the heat, what is the difference between fat and oil
To clarify, an engine is lubricated by oil that, together with the radiator, disperses the heat generated by friction and combustion. what is the difference between fat and oil
Difference between oils and fats
- The appearance of fats is semi-solid at room temperature, while oils are marketed in a liquid state.
- The greases are used in normal speed, the oils are more focused on the high speed not allowing the use of greases.
- Greases are easy to use in machinery, giving protection against impurities, oil is restricted in use since, because it is liquid, it is easier for it to spill and not remain in the required place. what is the difference between fat and oil
- The greases are used in guide bearings, slides, cams, while the oil goes directly to motors, transformers and compressors of any kind. what is the difference between fat and oil
- Fats are more resistant to cold than oil, as they do not have an ambient temperature, they usually become solid.
Difference between oils and fats by Comparative table
|Definition||What is commonly called fat is nothing more than a lipid, or several types of lipids in fact, that are present in many organisms.||As for oil, its main characteristic is hydrophobicity, that is, its incompatibility with water. These are several types of very popular fatty liquids, for example in food or petroleum derivatives, among others.|
|characteristics||Strictly speaking about the composition or chemical base of fat, it is formed when between one and three fatty acids bind to a glycerin molecule. Depending on the amount of fatty acids, a monoglyceride, a diglyceride or a triglyceride results. Triglycerides are, by the way, the most common type of lipid.||A similar case occurs with oils. These, like fats, are glycerol triglycerides. These can be saturated and unsaturated. Unsaturated fatty acids are of great importance to man because he is not able to synthesize them. For this reason, its regular consumption (omega 3, omega 6) is recommended.|