What is a computer program?
A computer program or computer program is a piece of software , that is, a complex sequence of instructions and processes orchestrated to accomplish a specific task in a computer or computer system. These programs can be pre-installed programs on the computer, such as the Operating System that controls all the operation of the same, or can be added by the user.
In general, the computer programs have a certain margin of resources of the computer system while they are running, and they fulfill all kinds of roles in the same, from controlling the resources and the internal operations of the computer , to mediating with the user and allowing him to work , recreate, explore Internet , etc.
These programs are the work of programmers, computer professionals who make up the matrix code (source code) of each piece of software and who are in some way their “authors”.
This code consists of instructions (declarative or imperative) that are then converted into executable files by the user or by the system and executed in the Central Processing Unit ( CPU ).
For its creation, programmers use, in turn, computer programs that serve to write these codes, that is, software that serves to make software and is known as a programming language .
On the other hand, many computer programs are capable of being updated and modified through the downloading of data from the Internet , keeping up to date or redefining its components, such as the Antivirus Programs or the Operating Systems, respectively.
Computer programs are part of the intellectual property of their creators, although in many cases they are released free or under copyleft licenses , much more permissive and do not require a payment for the use of the program.
See also: Spyware .
Types of computer programs
The main classification of computer programs covers their nature, dividing them into two classes:
- Software of the system . Those basic programs that allow the use of the computer, linking the user with the different aspects of hardware and / or networks of the system, as well as with the applications installed in it. This type of programs supports the applications and in many cases they are already installed and even embedded in the computer. For example: hardware drivers , operating systems, command lines, etc.
- Application software . All the diversity of secondary programs that we can download or install in our computer and that allow us to carry out numerous functions: text processors , spreadsheets , Web browsers, videogames, telecommunications software, multimedia players, etc.
Examples of computer program
Some examples of computer programs of various kinds are:
- Windows . The most popular operating system commercially speaking, owned by the Microsoft company , chaired by Bill Gates. It is a computer management system that operates based on windows that allow you to see its contents separately from the others, simultaneously.
- Google Chrome . It is a browser for the Internet, published by the company Google and distributed free of charge by the network. It has been listed as one of the lightest and fastest in its area.
- OpenOffice . It is a free and free distribution office application package, which makes the competition to more popular paid versions. It has a word processor (Writer), a spreadsheet (Calc), a program of presentations and slides (Impress), a database (Base), a mathematical formula editor (Math) and a graphics editor (Draw) ).
- Call Of Duty . Title of a series of video games of firings in the first person belonging to the company Infinity Ward and distributed by Activision. It is one of the most popular videogames in its branch and has often been controversial because of its burden of violence and underlying political content.
- MediaMonkey . A media player software (audio and video) developed by Ventis Media Inc., which allows organizing, labeling and playing multimedia files on any Windows platform .
- Adobe Illustrator . Vector graphics editing program that imitates an art workshop , since it operates based on a drawing board called “work table” and in which artistic design and illustration can be given free rein. It was created by Adobe Systems and is part of the Adobe Creative Cloud package.